Monday, September 2, 2013

Hajimemashite - Nice to Meet You

- Something about Japan has always fascinated me. When I think of Japan I think of rice fields, train stations, wooden homes and kind, respectful people. There is so much to explore in Japan. The street you go down every day can surprise you months later with a store you've never seen or the shopkeeper who feeds stray cats. Japan is so different from my home in the United States. Yet, I find that many things are the same. I want to explore this in my blog and I invite you to come along on my journey.

Spider-Lilies are my favorite flower in Japan


- I will be going to Japan sometime in the next year if all goes according to plan. I hope to teach English through a company called ECC (Education through Communication for the Community). I have an interview on September 23rd in Seattle. I am sure I'm going to nail it. If the company doesn't want me then I will find another company to take me to Japan. I will keep you updated.

- My main reason for going to Japan is to learn Japanese. I plan on taking a class from the community while I am teaching. After much research I feel this is the best option for me. I thought about going to graduate school in Japan but I would rather make money than spend money. My ultimate goal is to become a translator between Japanese and English. I feel this with give me many opportunities for a career. I could translate books, business meetings, lead tour groups or even work for the government.

- Even though teaching is not my ultimate goal I look forward to my experience teaching English in Japan. I have taught in a preschool, worked in a day care and even was a student aide for a sixth grade class. I enjoy teaching and working with kids and adults alike. I am currently working on a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate.

This is me. Hajimemashite! Nice to meet you!


- The title of my blog is Tabi - Journey. Tabi (pronounced Ta-Bee) means 'journey' so it may sound redundant but I love the Japanese language and how it sounds. Don't worry. I will always gloss words that are unfamiliar. If I don't then yell at me and I'll gloss them for you. Hajimemashite (Ha-jee-meh-ma-shi-te) means 'Nice to meet you'.

- Thank you for taking this journey with me. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll try and respond in a reasonable amount of time.
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment