Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hamamatsu, Japan!

I finally got an offer for a position in Japan! I've already accepted and I am going to Hamamatsu, Japan and starting training on February 1st!
Downtown Hamamatsu
(Pronounced Hama (Like Mama) Mat (Like M Ah T) Su (Just like Sue) Say all the "a"'s like "ah" and you've got it. Ha ma ma t su)
Hamamatsu means Costal Pine in Japanese.

Hamamatsu is on the main island of Japan halfway between Tokyo and Osaka.


Hamamatsu is on the coast and by the mountains. The city is spread over a large area. I could end up closer to the coast or the mountains or possibly traveling all over the city. The city is infused with nature with some tree-lined streets, rivers, sand dunes and a lake. Sounds perfect to me!

Kanzanji and view of city

Nakatajima Sand Dunes
The weather is pretty mild all year long with the high in summer being around 90F/32C and the low in the winter is just above 32F/0C. The average is 60F/16C. There is a considerable amount of humidity though. In July it reaches 80%! This area is also known to have "the most sunny days in Japan"!
Enshunada (Sunrise)
Hamamatsu is known as Japan's "City of Music" because many music companies (Yamaha/Kawai) started and/or have headquarters here. The city has many temples and a few castles to explore. It is also known for the Hamamatsu Festival in the summer. This event is attended by over one million people! They have kite battles, floats and fireworks.

Takane Castle
Ryotanji Temple
Hamamatsu Festival Kite Battles
As for safety, there are threats like earthquakes, hurricanes and tidal waves. I must admit it's a little close to the ocean for me but I feel safe in knowing that Hamamatsu has plans for any disaster. Besides, I don't mind having the coast to explore! Earthquakes are the norm in Japan and they are more prepared for them than we are in America. I'm not worried.

Thank you all for reading and waiting with me. I am so excited! The next step is to prepare by applying for a visa, reserving a plane ticket and getting more information from ECC. Japan, here I come!
Ukimido- Now you're all jealous

No comments:

Post a Comment